Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I may get past this plateau yet

So, here's my dilemma.

I stayed the SAME at my weigh in last night.  I have been the same weight for at least the last three months +/- 2 lbs. At least I'm maintaining, but the problem is I am NOT at my goal. I knew the last ten pounds would be tough and I knew that to really get that fit, I would have to amp it up, but I really didn't expect this. sigh.

I read an article today about plateaus and I have been trying to find it to post here, but I have been unsuccessful. Basically the suggestions were: add weight training 3x a week, drink more water, track what you eat and change your exercise.

So, other than the fact that I have been very lax with the program over the past few months, those suggestions are REALLY applicable to me. I have been working out continuously for well over a year, but I always do the same workout: cardio/Zumba. So it is time to switch it up and add some Body Pump for weights. This means I have to cut out a Zumba, or two but I think I'll survive. I remember when I first started Zumba, it was my goal to be able to make it the whole way through certain instructors' classes, especially the really high energy ones. I still sweat at Zumba, but I believe that my body has gotten used to doing it regularly and that it takes less energy (fewer calories) to move my smaller bootie and smaller hips around so I burn fewer calories per class than I used to. So, time to ramp. When you do weight training and you have a higher muscle mass, you burn you burn more calories so, weights it is. I have to come up with a new gym schedule. I will miss Zumba, but I think this will be good for me to shake it up and ramp it up. I also don't drink NEARLY enough water, so that's going up too.

So last night I went to Zumba with my friend Cheryl, she is a breast cancer survivor, and she had a double mastectomy over a year ago and she is starting reconstructive surgery on Monday. So, this was her last Zumba for a while, because she is having a series of surgeries. She is such a strong and brave woman. Oh yeah, and I met her at Weight Watchers. I will miss her at Zumba, she is so funny, she cracks me up. She also writes music and sings and acts and all kinds of stuff in addition to her day job as a Valet driver. I love the characters in this town! She'll probably never see this, but good karma is coming your way from me, my girl, and I know that your surgeries will be successful and that you will be great! I am thinking of you.

pre-workout (not sweaty)
post-workout (sweaty) with Cheryl (isn't she fabulous?)
VIP locker room!  I bought the membership as my reward when I lost 40 lbs!



So, last night I signed up for a 5k for this Saturday, YIKES!

So I figured I'd better run.....


pre-run
post run, no worse for the wear.  Scott said I looked like I was gonna collapse, lol.  He better not be saying that when he's photographing me cross the finish line on Saturday!




it's posted on the previous blog entry, but I wanted to prove to myself that I actually could DO a 5k before I tried to run it on Saturday....so I did exactly a 5k (3.1 miles)...





I have actually finished races before.  Last year I took up walking and I did three half marathons, a 10k and the breast cancer 3 Day 60 mile walk (20 miles a day for three straight days, camping in a tent at night).  I have medals from all three halfs and the 10k, but never from an event that I actually RAN.   SO this week - I run.  Wish me luck!

Rock and Roll announced yesterday it's Vegas 1/2 marathon and marathon are going to be ran on the Strip at NIGHT!!! SO, I'm tempted....

And I already signed up for THIS - MY DREAM RACE!!! But don't tell anyone, shhhhh... I haven't told a few key players yet....

No comments:

Post a Comment